I had some extra Dynamat left over and decided to partially cover the trunk lid. I hope this will make the car quieter for when I get to the point of installing a sound system and subwoofers.
First, I used painter’s tape to make a template.
Then I carefully cut out the shape I want with an exacto knife. In later shapes, I decided it was easier to instead mark where I wanted to cut with a sharpie and cut the shape later. That way I don’t risk cutting into the paint.
Use the template to cut out your Dynamat. Then flip the shape over to get its mirror image for the other side of the trunk:
I’m pretty pleased with the final result. Not perfect, but good enough for me.
Some folks say it’s not worth it, but most audio guys I know and car restorers say that installing a sound deadening product adds minimal weight while making your old rustbucket feel like a new car without all the rattles and bass resonance. Stings a bit in the wallet, and my back and knees are not happy, but the results were worth it. Spent about $360 plus $25 in tools. Total time spent, about 5 hours.
Looking back, I think I spent too much time grinding away at the rust. The beauty of POR-15 is that you can “Paint Over Rust” which is where it gets its name. I could have saved a few hours by just wire brushing off scale and then etching and coating the trunk floor.
Total outlay for materials: about $150, but I have lots left for future rust-proofiing
Total time spent: about 10 hours. 8 hours prep and 1 hour painting two coats on